Tuesday, March 27, 2012

KM Explains it All!

When Books Come to Life!


Hunger Games Update!
(photo taken from google.com)
This past weekend was the opening of the Hunger Games movie and I of course saw it.  Overall I was very happy with the movie.  There were a few things that I was a little disappointed about them changing and I thought that some of the camerawork was a bit shaky (I felt like I was watching Cloverfield and got a bit dizzy).  I would have liked them to show more of the relationship that develops between the main character, Katniss, and Rue because they had maybe three scenes together when in the book they helped each other out a lot more.  I also didn't like how they changed how Katniss got the mockingjay pin that she wears.  Other than that it was a great action movie and a great adaptation from the book!  If you've read the book then I highly recommend checking out the movie and if you haven't read it then read it first!!!


Mermaid:  A Twist On the Classic Fairy tale
Barnes and Noble overview can be found here (photo taken from google.com)
As I mentioned before I got a Nook for Christmas from my brother and his girlfriend and they loaded it with more books than I could imagine.  I found this book on it and gave it a try and really enjoyed it.  I've always wanted to read the original version by Hans Christian Andersen and since I loved the movie when I was little and this makes me want to read it more.  This version was darker than the Disney classic and takes place in a land at war where a mermaid saves a prince from freezing waters, falls in love with him, and saves his life by delivering it unknowingly to a princess in disguise who just so happens to be from his rival land.  It's almost the same basic outline as the Disney movie but like I said a bit darker and more mature.  If you're interested in this kind of book then I'd recommend giving it a go!  Mermaid:  A Twist on the Classic Fairy Tale is written by Carolyn Turgeon.


Game of Thrones
Barnes and Noble overview can be found here (photo taken from google.com)
This isn't a movie but I'm going to talk about it anyways because both the books and the show are AMAZING.  Before I even read the book or knew about the show I actually met the author, George R. R. Martin, while I was in London.  My brother is a huge fan and asked if I could swing by a book signing so off I went and met a very friendly guy who looked an awful lot like Santa...little did I know that this man was  GENIUS!  The way that he puts this medieval world together and develops the characters is simply amazing.  Game of Thrones is the first book of in his A Song of Ice and Fire series, right now there are five but I believe he's working on a few more.  The show, which can be viewed on HBO, sticks very close to the books and I'm glad that it's a series rather than a movie because the books are very long.  If it was a movie then they would have to cut out even more than they already do for the show.  I did the opposite of what I'm always saying to do and saw the show before I read the books (I know, shame on me) but it really didn't ruin it at all for me.  There were some things that I wished they put in the show after I read it but overall I think that this was another really awesome adaptation and I can't wait to see how they pull off the second book, A Clash of Kings.  The second season premiers this Sunday at 9pm on HBO!  Check out the trailer below!
Heard of any good books that are going to be made into movie?  Let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment