Tuesday, May 29, 2012

KM Explains it All!

When Books Come to Life!


Fantastic Mr. Fox
Click here for Barnes&Noble synopsis (photo taken from google.com)
This was one of my favorite books when I was little so to see it come to life was a bit odd for me.  I had read this book I don't even know how many times and I'm pretty sure I wrote a book report on it at some point.  The movie I wasn't so impressed with.  I liked how they did it as in not a cartoon because it was something different but the story seemed wrong to me.  Maybe it's because I haven't read it in a while but there were certain things that were just off for me.  In the movie Mr. Fox had his signature whistle that he did which they made more a big deal about and it really wasn't anything.  I think they tried to add that in for a little extra comedic relief but it just didn't work in my opinion.  The story is supposed to be about him stealing from these three farmers but they added in extra sub stories that I thought were unnecessary and I really wish they had left my favorite childhood book alone.


Water For Elephants
Click here for Barnes&Noble synopsis (photo taken from google.com)
This is one of those books that I picked up knowing that it was going to be made into a movie, had to read it first, and loved it.  I wasn't aware of who the cast was going to be at the time so when I found out who was playing who I was happy and disappointed at the same time.  I did not like the idea of Reese Witherspoon as Marlena.  I pictured someone younger especially since she was going to be paired with Rob Patinson, which I didn't mind at all as Jacob.  I thought he could capture all the emotions of the character and fit the age requirement as well.  When it came to the role of August I was absolutely IN LOVE with the idea of Christoph Waltz (huge fan of him in Inglorious Basterds).  After seeing the movie I was happier with the casting choices because Reese is such a great actress that she pulled off an amazing performance.  I was overall pleased with the adaptation and thought that it stuck very close to the book and there were certain scenes that I was eager to see that I thought came out amazingly.


The Great Gatsby
Click here for Barnes&Noble synopsis

I read this book in high school and it was one that I actually really enjoyed reading.  I love the whole era that it takes place in.  The fashion, music, cars, everything seemed so extravagant back then.  Since this movie has not come out yet I'm very eager to see it.  I like the casting choice especially Carey Mulligan as Daisy.  She just seems so right for the role and I'm one of those girls who use to swoon over Leonardo DiCaprio when I was a teen so I have no problem with him as Gatsby.  I can't wait to update you on my thoughts about this adaptation once I see it.  The Great Gatsby hits theaters Christmas 2012!  


What books are you excited to see come to life?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment