Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Travel Tuesdays With KM

I can only bring how many suitcases?!?

I am a notorious over packer...it's a problem but I have found ways to make traveling work none the less.  What you pack depends on where you're going and how long you're going to be there.  As always do you're research on where you're going before traveling there.  I have multiple types of luggage so that I'm prepared for whatever.  There's my small duffle, large duffle, small suitcase, medium suitcase, large suitcase, and even larger suitcase. 

Here is my typical start off packing list that I'll add to once I know where I'm going:

  • Clothes (pants/shorts, shirts, blouses, etc.)
  • Toiletries (travel size if possible and make sure that it is labeled.  Purchasing containers to put shampoo you already own in is convenient however some airport security will take them away.  If it says Herbel Essence Shampoo on it for example, then you're golden)
  • Shoes (at least one pair of heels, flats, sneakers, flip flops, etc.)
  • IPOD (usually I make a new playlist for when I travel filling it with songs that comfort me like the Beatles Here Comes the Sun)
  • Books/Nook (I prefer books and usually pack three or if I have room then I'll pack more.  Usually I bring one that I have read already, chick-lit, and some sort of fiction novel)
  • Travel alarm clock
  • Choo Choo blanket (My mom made two of these blankets that have trains on them when my brother and I were little and it brings comfort to me when I'm away from home.  Some sort of comfort item is great when you're going to be away for a long period of time)
  • If traveling to a foreign country then adapters and converters (Most other countries use different outlets and they use a different voltage)
  • Backpack (I call myself Dora the Explorer when I travel because I like to have a backpack with me.  It's convenient and can hold useful things for different excursions)
I've used this backpack to travel all over Europe and in Egypt.  The red and white tassel was created by our Egyptian tour leader to help keep us together and recognize one another.  This is a great idea to put on luggage as well to help you find it easier.

What I've learned that makes packing MUCH easier is to know what I'm doing beforehand so that I can plan out my outfits.  

Weekend Getaway:
The girls and I went to visit Christine down in Philly and I did not want to over pack.  We were taking Megabus to get there and I wanted my luggage manageable.  We were getting there late on a Thursday and leaving late on a Monday.  I would need four outfits and we were going to be going to the Jersey Shore for a day so a bathing suit was a must.  I looked up what the weather was going to be like, which was extremely hot, and decided to pack three tank tops, three pairs of shorts, a maxi dress, and a comfortable t shirt for the ride home.  Since I'm an over packer, I always bring a "just in case" outfit which was an extra blouse and jeans in case it wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be.  One of my rules is to bring an extra outfit and I haven't regretted it yet.  It worked out perfectly and I had just the right amount of clothes.

Extended Stay:
My bomber jacket was purchased from Delias
When I studied abroad I was in London, England for three months but traveled to other countries as well while I was there.  This seemed like an impossible journey to pack for.  It was my first time EVER leaving the country as well as being away from my family for a long period of time and I didn't know where else I would be traveling to.  I'm pretty sure I threw my whole closet into my two largest suitcases and added anything that wouldn't fit, into my large duffle.  I'm surprised they let me on the plane with all that luggage.  Looking back, I know I didn't wear half the things that I brought and know that I could have planned it out better.  I didn't bring wellies (rain boots) with me and on all the walks to my classes, I really could have used them.  My feet may not have been well off but I did bring appropriate jackets.  The weather in London is quite unpredictable and for most of my stay there, the temperature was amazingly comfortable.  I purchased a bomber jacket before I left and wore that frequently. After three months, a girl accumulates a lot of new items from clothes to trinkets and I don't even remember what else!  Upon arrival in London, my suitcases were already almost at the maximum weight so repacking was a huge issue.  Being the clever girl that I am, I managed by filling my bags to their maximum weight then taking any clothes that would not fit and shoving them into the pockets and sleeves of one of my jackets.  I then carried that jacket on the plane.  I was surprised that I wasn't stopped at security but not nearly as surprised as the nice gentleman who helped retrieve my jacket from the overhead compartment.  He couldn't understand why it was so heavy.  A girl will do what is necessary to bring all her clothes home.
This outfit was perfect for the weather in Egypt.
The cargo pants covered my legs and I could drape
the scarf differently to cover my arms if needed.

Week Long Journey:
Different countries have different outlooks on what sort of outfits are appropriate and what aren't.  Before traveling to Egypt, it was suggested to our tour group to dress conservatively.  The majority of the group were women and in Egypt, some of the women cover themselves almost completely.  It was for our own comfort to not draw anymore attention to ourselves than we were already receiving.  I took this seriously and brought long sleeved shirts, regular t shirts, and cargo pants.  I was offered to be purchased for 20,000 camels only once.  Some of the girls who disregarded the warning and wore sleeveless dresses were approached more frequently and with much different offers...use your imagination on that one.  It is very important not to be disrespectful when you travel.  You are the visitor and need to be mindful of the place you are visiting.


My advice this week is to go to over packers anonymous so you don't end up stuffing clothes into your jacket...

Any good stories from your travels?  Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment