Tuesday, September 27, 2011

KM Explains it All!

Just Call Me Betty Crocker!

My Mom's birthday was last week but we just got to celebrating it as a family this week.  Of course cake is a huge part of the celebration and originally I was going to make her favorite kind, yellow cake with chocolate frosting, from scratch but then we came upon a recipe that intrigued us.  Cake balls!  This ingenious idea was unbelievably easy to make and wicked delicious!  

All you need to do is follow these easy instructions seen here.  

We almost always use Betty Crocker but it just depends on your taste preference!
Since the recipe calls for you to crumble it, I didn't bother using round cake pans and opted for a rectangle pan instead.


We wanted to try different combinations so I split the cake in half then mixed in the frosting.  I'm of the same mindset as Paula Dean where everything tastes better when you get really into your cooking and use your hands.  For this particular combination I had no problem at all sticking my hands in and was able to eat everything that stuck to my hands when I was done...finger-licking good!
It doesn't say this on the website but if the balls are falling apart at all, that means you need more frosting.  I guesstimated at how much I initially put in since I split it in half.  Also it was easy to form if your hands were a bit moist making the batter stick to your hands less.  I then let them chill overnight in the fridge.  I think that it would have been easier if I had let them sit in the freezer for a bit before I covered them with chocolate since once they warmed even the slightest bit then they would fall apart in the chocolate making me very frustrated.  I tried to save them by patching them up with chocolate while my brother, who was attempting to help, decided that they were a lost cause and found better storage for them in his stomach.  In the end I ended up doing it Paula Dean style and dipped the last couple with my hands.

Initially I tried to cover some of them with white chocolate but the consistency is different from regular chocolate and it ended up pulling them apart.  Instead I used the melted white chocolate over the regular chocolate so I wouldn't waste it and it made it more decorative.  Everyone LOVED them!  Sometimes a full piece of cake is too much so this was a perfect solution.  I definitely recommend this recipe for anyone who is looking for something a bit different.  They had a contraption at Kohls that made it even easier for you to make them.  This can be seen here.  Personally I don't mind getting messy when I bake but if you're looking to spend the money and go for an easier route then maybe you should consider that purchase.


Have any fun and different recipe's?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment