Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday's with Jenbiff



From Across the Pond

London Fashion Week September 14-September 18

I would have to say that my favorite part about all of the fashion weeks outside of the US is that they are out of the US. Please don’t take this as an anti-American statement. (Mostly) European fashion is so different from what we have here and that is certainly reflected on the catwalks of the world. Europeans are not afraid to design or wear things that would make you an outcast if you wore it in the States (Like Men in Dresses?).

European designs aren’t even always necessarily doing things that are crazy. Sometimes they’re doing close to the same thing that American designers are doing, but with a little European flare. I guess I don’t really know how to put it into words…maybe it’s just a feeling I have towards all things European. Here are my top lines from London’s Spring/Summer 2013:

Philip Treacy
I don’t know too much about this designer, but after looking at his creations I’m going to start paying attention more! I just don't think he'll ever fade into the crowd. I realized quickly that the focus of this collection is definitely the headgear. Now I’m not talking about the kind the orthodontist gave you when you were 12, permanently ruining all pre-teen and early teen photos for you. I’m talking about the kind we watched guests of the royal wedding walking into the church wearing. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing these pieces of art to the food store, you could certainly use it as a center piece for Thanksgiving dinner. I had such a hard time choosing my favs for this one, but here it goes:



This would def be the easiest to go food shopping in!
I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but I hope it does so you can see the rest of this wonderfully wacky line! Philip Treacy S/S 2013



Emilia Wickstead
To me, she really pulled inspiration from a few different decades. Super feminine 50’s dress, laid back 70’s get-up, and the peplum of today. Here are my favs:




David Koma
Fitted mini dresses, and mini mermaid style dresses, cropped tops elongated with sheer pieces. Everything is so simple, yet so beautiful. Most of the dresses looked like they had some serious pleats, which just reminded me of the great Madam Gres from Paris, whose specialty was pleats. Most of the outfits were either black or white with little pops of colors. Here are my favs:



*All photos are from WWD.com



 Quote of the Week: "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun"
Last Weeks Answer: Jean Cocteau

No comments:

Post a Comment